7/9/20 Communication from Assoc. Dean Penner on the Infection Protocol for COVID-19
Dear School of Physical Sciences Community:
As stated by Chancellor Gillman in his July 2nd message, the COVID-19 virus has increased its spread within our communities and we must recommit to previously stated safety precautions and be especially vigilant. Staying home when sick, wearing a face covering, adhering to physical distancing and increased hand washing continue to be effective measures to help slow the spread. With the exception of faculty, research personnel and essential staff with approved return to work plans on file with the Dean's office, all faculty, staff and students should continue to work remotely.
In the event of a positive COVID-19 diagnosis by any SofPS faculty, staff or student, the following protocol should be followed.
Role of the employee (faculty, researcher, staff, student):
- Do not return to work.
- Notify your supervisor.
- Seek medical care - by contacting your personal health provider. Contact your health provider for further direction about your own personal health care: Testing is as directed by a Primary Care physician. If obtaining testing is a challenge or issue, consult with HR for further direction. The Employee Experience Center is the appropriate resource - and can be reached at eec.hr.uci.edu or at the UCI Coronavirus Response Center (949) 824-9918 COVID19@uci.edu
Role of the Supervisor/PI:
- Report the illness to HR: https://new.hr.uci.edu/form-report-new-coronavirus-cases/ This will trigger further instructions that will vary depending on each case.
- Contact your health provider for further direction about your own personal health care: Testing is as directed by a Primary Care physician. If obtaining testing is a challenge or issue, consult with HR for further direction. The Employee Experience Center is the appropriate resource - and can be reached at eec.hr.uci.edu or at the UCI Coronavirus Response Center (949) 824-9918 COVID19@uci.edu
- Notify your Department personnel analyst and School (Ms. Kerry Kick - email@example.com). Do not share the individual’s name with anyone in your department other than HR. The employee’s illness is a confidential medical record in compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Consult with the Department/School/Campus regarding further action: Each situation is unique. Campus offices will be contacted via the reporting form in #1. EH&S coordinates cleaning, if needed, and will be contacted directly via the reporting form. The PI can send people home to telecommute until further instructions are available.
*Do not attempt to carry out contact tracing. Contact tracing will be coordinated by HR.
The information below will also be posted on the School of Physical Sciences website for COVID resources.
Reginald M. Penner
Chancellor's Professor of Chemistry & Associate Dean for Research and Innovation
The School of Physical Sciences
University of California, Irvine