9/2 Message from Assoc. Dean Penner on Laboratory Addendum to UCI's COVID-19 Infection Protocol
The UCI campus has a COVID-19 infection protocol described here. This protocol does not provide guidance relating to the operation of shared spaces of laboratories and offices occupied by research personnel. The following is the approved procedure to be followed in such instances:
Days 0 and 1:
- Symptomatic coworker (SC) reports symptoms to supervisor/principle investigator.
- SC goes home, monitors symptoms, seeks medical attention if appropriate.
- Everyone else working in the same lab goes home; laboratory is closed.*
- SC reports symptoms to Human Resources using the online form.
- SC seeks and receives a COVID-19 test which is available at Student Health, Gottschalk Medical Plaza, or another medical provider.
(Assuming test results are made available to Supervisor/PI)**
If this test is Negative:
- Day 2: Lab Reopens.*
- SC stays home until authorized by UCI Occupational and Environmental Health (COEH).
If this test is Positive:
- All laboratory personnel are officially in quarantine. Quarantine is maintained 14 days, until Day 15.
- Days 3 - 14, EH&S sanitizes laboratory spaces, & shared equipment.
- Day 15: Lab Reopens.*
*Plans for each lab's shutdown are detailed in the Phase 2 Reopening Plans filed by each individual laboratory and approved by SoPS.
**Coworkers are not obligated to share the outcome of tests with supervisor and PI's.
Reginald M. Penner
Chancellor's Professor of Chemistry &
Associate Dean for Research and Innovation
The School of Physical Sciences
University of California, Irvine