What is a PS Mentor?
A Physical Sciences mentor is an alumni or a friend of the School who volunteers to coach an undergraduate student during the academic year (October - May). A mentor is a guide, friend and resource who shares education and professional experience to help pave the way for students to succeed professionally and academically.
As a PS Mentor...
- Benefit from an enriching volunteer experience to serve as a guide and resource to an undergraduate science student
- Help students determine important career and academic decisions
- Teach students about business conduct and communication skills
- Refine your coaching and mentoring skills
- Networking opportunities with other alumni and industry leaders
- Connect with the School of Physical Sciences
- Develop meaningful connections with UCI Physical Sciences students
- Complete an online mentor profile.
- Expect an email from your matched student.
- *Attend PS Mentor Program Events and stay in touch with your student on a regular basis.
*Remote mentors, or mentors who cannot be physically present at events, are welcome to the program as long as they maintain regular contact with student though telephone or online communications.
The Matching Process
Once students and mentors have completed online profiles, the program coordinator will match students with one of his/her preferred mentor selections. The match is based on the information provided by both students and mentors, and therefore it is important to provide thorough information when filling out online profiles. The program coordinator will contact students and provide them with their new mentor's contact information. Students are expected to contact their mentors through an introductory email. Mentors and students have the opportunity to meet during PSUM Meet and Greet event.