Science and Societal Impacts of Air Quality and Climate Issues: Past, Present and Future
April 18-19, 2017
Beckman Center, UC Irvine
100 Academy Way, Irvine, CA 92617
You are invited to attend a special two-day symposium at the Beckman Center that will honor the research history of atmospheric chemistry, air quality, and climate change at UCI. We will also address these issues in the present and future with a line-up of renowned speakers along with presentations of recent research within the AirUCI Institute.
Invited speakers for this symposium include (in alphabetical order):
- Allison Campbell: President, American Chemical Society / Associate Lab Director,PNNL
- Jane Hall: Economist, California State University, Fullerton
- David Hasemyer: Pulitzer Prize-winning Investigative journalist, Inside Climate News
- Wayne Nastri: Executive Officer, South Coast Air Quality Management District
- Mary Nichols: Chair, California Air Resources Board
- C. Arden Pope: Professor of Economics, Brigham Young University (health effects researcher)
- A.R. Ravishankara: Professor of Chemistry, Colorado State University
- Paul Shepson: Distinguished Professor of Analytical & Atmospheric Chemistry, Purdue University / Division Director, Atmospheric & Geospace Sciences, NSF
- Ellen Williams: Distinguished Professor of Physics, University of Maryland / former Director of ARPA-E
See Symposium Agenda for full details
We invite you to join us for this exciting and historic event. If you would like to bring some of your research group members, colleagues, and friends, this would be an excellent opportunity for them to experience the importance of our field and what they can contribute — just ask them to register individually.
We anticipate strong attendance at the symposium and space is limited. Breakfast and lunch will be provided at the Beckman Center for the symposium attendees. In order to accommodate everyone, we need RSVPs by March 31st.
We have arranged for attendees to book their own discounted rooms at the Ayres Hotel near UCI to minimize driving — just ask for the UCI rate.
Please contact Melissa Sweet, email@example.com, for any questions.
Associated Event: Dedication of Rowland Hall as a National Landmark
In conjunction with the symposium there will be a dedication ceremony naming Rowland Hall on the UCI campus as a historic building and National Landmark by the American Chemical Society (ACS), the site of the ground-breaking work on CFCs and stratospheric ozone loss by Nobel Laureates F. Sherwood Rowland and Mario Molina in 1974. This dedication will be held at 4:00 pm on Tuesday, April 18th at Rowland Hall. You are invited to attend this historic event as well — please RSVP below. See flyer.